Please read carefully and contact us with any questions.
TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information in order to use our Sites to communicate with readers regarding authors and books we believe may interest them, and for our legitimate business needs. When you use our Sites we may collect and process the following types of information about you:
Information about You and Your Use of Our Sites
Personal Information. Any information, which may include personal information that you directly and voluntarily provide to us, such as: name, home address, business address; email address; phone and cell phone numbers, birthdate; zip code; text message address or other wireless device address; instant messaging address; social media handle; and/or other information that may identify you as an individual or allow online or offline contact with you as an individual.
How We Collect Information from You:
- From forms on our Sites or submitted to our Sites (e.g. to receive newsletters or request other information), where we ask you for such information as your name, email address; zip code; age.
- If you participate in a promotion, e.g., a contest or sweepstakes, which involves our mailing you a prize, we will collect Information, including your telephone number and street address.
- Participating in a JC poll or survey.
- If you report a problem, send us feedback or request technical support or other customer service for our Sites.
- If you pre-order a book in connection with qualifying for one of our giveaway campaigns.
- Certain information is collected automatically about your use and interaction with our Sites which may include: pages or content you open or interact with, pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
Information about Your Device
We may collect technical information about your device, including an identifier, device type, IP address, phone, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
Cookies and other Tracking Technologies
Analytics & Data Collection
The Sites use third party technologies to help us gather aggregate information about the user experience. The Sites use analytics tools (Google Analytics). Because of this, the web browsers used by our visitors automatically send certain information to Google. This includes, for example, the web address of the page that you’re visiting and your IP address. Google may also set cookies on your browser or read cookies that are already there. We do not share any of this information with any other third parties.
The information we collect allows us to better tailor our web experience to the interests of our visitors. This information may be used in aggregate form by JC to assess general user interest in our Sites and the content on it. No personally identifying information is included in this type of reporting.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
To enable us to provide and maintain our Sites, including Site administration and internal operations such as troubleshooting and testing;
- To improve the Sites to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device of choice;
- To determine your eligibility to win and/or to send you a prize or award in connection with a promotion, e.g. sweepstakes;
- To provide targeted advertising for our titles across unaffiliated web properties;
- To notify you about changes to our Sites;
- To keep our Sites safe and secure; and
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- We may share information about you, which may include personally identifiable information, with selected third parties in the following ways or in the following circumstances:
- We may share with business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to the extent necessary to assist us in providing and maintaining our Sites, and the improvement and optimization of our Sites;
- We may share with service providers and business partners who supplement information we collect with additional information about our Site visitors and help us better connect with our audiences.
- We may share in connection with promotions which we conduct (i.e., we are the Sponsor) or in which we invite another entity to co-sponsor with us or supply prizes. In those situations, the information we obtain from you in connection with the promotion may be shared with our partner when we specifically indicate to users that we may do so and obtain your consent by participating in the promotion. In those situations, our partner will have the right to email you directly or to ask us to share our information about you with the other party for their own purposes consistent with their own privacy policies, which we urge you read before giving you consent, as we are not responsible for how partners may use the information.
Links to third party web sites and apps:
- Our Sites may include social media features, including share links that enable you to share, post or link our content through your accounts with third party social media services. If you choose to share content from our Sites with social media features on other sites, you should confirm that the sharing of such content doesn’t conflict with the terms and conditions of the other site.
- JC may collect, use and share information about pages, about authors or books you view on our Sites and how long you view pages of specific content on our Sites with third party partners. We may also collect information from third parties regarding similar such content that you view on third party sites.
- In addition, we may provide to third parties aggregated demographic information, but not information that describes or identifies any individual user.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We take reasonable precautions to protect your information both online and offline and allow only employees and third party contractors who need the information to perform a specific job to access your information.
Some information you provide to us or our partners may be stored by third parties, on our behalf or in addition to our own storage. For example we may use third parties to operate some of our promotions. We take reasonable steps to confirm that those third party partners who collect information on our behalf protect and secure your information.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of your data; any transmission is at your risk.
JC reserves the right to monitor all network traffic to our Sites to identify and/or block unauthorized attempts or intrusions, including the uploading or changing of our Sites to or to otherwise change information or cause damage to our Sites in any manner. Anyone using our Sites expressly consents to such monitoring.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your Information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification.
JC’s Transfer of your Information as part of a sale of the Company. If JC sells substantially all of its assets to or is acquired by a third party, information held by JC about you which we have collected from our Sites, including your name and email address, may be one of the transferred assets.
You may choose to opt-out of certain communications or uses of information collected by JC or third parties in our JC newsletters and email communications, by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any of those communications or by contacting us at PolicyContact@JaggedCompass.com. (Please allow us time to delete information about you from such communications and remember that we can only delete such information if you provide us with all email addresses you have used with us; otherwise, we will delete the email address for the communication for which you are opting out.)
If you believe that any of your information is incorrect or needs updating, please let us know PrivacyContact@JaggedCompass.com. JC will use reasonable efforts to correct your information and our records upon verification of the requested change.
JC respects the privacy of children and we are committed to complying with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
Our Sites are not for children under 13 years of age. Our products and services are marketed for and directed towards purchase by adults or with the consent of adults. However, there are some areas of our Sites that may be attractive to children under 13. We do not condition participation by a child of any age in any activity or any of the Services that are available on or through our Sites on the disclosure of more personally identifiable information than is reasonably necessary to participate in an activity. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from users of our Sites who are under 13 years of age. No personally identifiable information should be submitted to or posted at our Sites by visitors under 13 years of age without the prior written consent of their parent or guardian. If we receive an e-mail message from a child who discloses, or is otherwise known to us, to be under 13 years of age, we may, in accordance with COPPA, without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian:
- Respond to a one-time request from the child. If the email is collected to respond more than once to the child, we will also ask for the parent’s email, so we can let the parent know that the child has given us personally identifiable information and give the parent a chance to tell us to delete that Personal Information before we re-contact the child.
- Use this information as may be necessary to ensure the safety of the child on our Sites; or
- Send our electronic periodical publications and materials, with notification to the child’s parent or guardian and the opportunity to discontinue any future delivery of the above information.
We will not knowingly collect, use or disclose any personally identifiable information of a child under 13 years of age for any purpose except as described above.
Any parent or guardian of a child under 13 years of age who has provided personally identifiable information to us may request a description of the personally identifiable information that has been collected from or about that child, and either limit or restrict any further maintenance or use of such information from that child and/or direct us to delete it. Also, a parent may decline to allow any future collection of personally identifiable information from that child. Such requests can be made by contacting us here. We will take reasonable measures to verify that the requesting party is, in fact, the parent or guardian of the child in question before providing a child’s personally identifiable information to such person.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY. Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code requires select businesses to disclose policies relating to the sharing of certain categories of personal information with third parties. If you reside in California and have provided your personal information to us, you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at:
Jagged Compass LLC
2038 Ford Parkway #461
St. Paul, MN 55116
Within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of those third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified in this section, if not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
Policy originally posted January 1, 2018 has been updated as of January 1, 2018.